Pancreatitis can be a long-lasting condition where the health of the pancreas worsens over time. In our April 2020 webinar, Pancreatitis: Facts & Fiction, we review some of the common misperceptions about this complex condition. This presentation is led by world-renowned pancreas expert and Ariel Co-Founder, Dr. David Whitcomb and Dr. Mark Haupt. Do You […]
Table of Contents What is a Polygenic Risk Score (PRS)? If you or someone you know is considering genetic testing, you may encounter some new and unfamiliar terms. Most genetic tests ordered through a healthcare provider look for rare, or uncommon changes in your DNA (genetic variants) that may cause single-gene diseases. However, most diseases, […]
Thanks to patients who volunteer for scientific research with Ariel. Ariel researchers continue to study and describe the genetic changes that may predispose to pancreatitis. In a new study led by Dr. Mitch Ellison published in the journal Pancreas, the team studied how combinations of genetic changes, or variants, might make people more susceptible to […]
Genetic testing can be confusing. It is a rapidly changing field with a lot of terms and concepts that the average person doesn’t encounter often in everyday life. Sometimes the implications of test results are life-changing not only for the person tested, but also for their family. It can be challenging to navigate the testing […]
From a genetic standpoint, humans are overwhelmingly similar. If you compare the DNA of two randomly chosen people, you’ll find that it is 99.9% identical. The variability in the remaining 0.1% is why we have differences in eye color, height, and the ability to digest milk into adulthood. This 0.1% is also why we have […]
Are you leveraging the power of genetic testing to help diagnose and treat your patients? If not, now is the time to start. In recent years, usage of genetics in healthcare — particularly in diagnosing and predicting disease — has exploded. Genome sequencing can help physicians identify a variety of hard-to-diagnose conditions, such as […]
What’s the Difference Between Clinical Genetic Testing for Diseases and Direct to Consumer Genome Testing?
Over the past few years, DTC (direct-to-consumer) clinical genetic testing kits have been flying off the shelves as people jump for a chance to learn about their ancestry or determine whether they’re at risk for a genetic condition.
You’ve got a medical issue you want to address, but the standard 10-15 minute doctor’s appointment isn’t enough time to speak to your care team about all of your concerns. While it may seem there’s not much you can do about short appointment times or a busy physician, there are things you can do to advocate […]